Careers: Full-Stack Engineer
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
The Center is seeking a Full-Stack Ruby on Rails engineer to help build and maintain both front-end and back-end features as we build out a technology-enabled service transforming the workflows of primary care practices. Reports to the Software Engineering Tech Lead/Manager. This is a full-time position located in New York, N.Y.
You will be part of a development team building products that will have the opportunity to positively impact the quality of care delivered to millions of patients, improve the quality of life for thousands of physicians, and significantly reduce the cost burden of US healthcare. We are taking proven models of primary care transformation through our work with Stanford University’s Clinical Excellence Research Center and advancing them in the field through an integrated product and service effort.
We are looking for a Ruby developer responsible for building Ruby applications, including anything from complex groups of back-end microservices to command line utilities and data processing scripts. Your primary responsibility will be to design and develop these applications, and to coordinate with the rest of the team working on different layers of the infrastructure. Thus, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and building quality products is essential.
The main responsibilities of the job include:
- Design, build, and maintain readable, reusable, and reliable Ruby code
- Should understand the disciplines of Test Driven Development and Refactoring
- Support deployment of application, systems engineering, and database code for back-end systems and services
- Work with Product and Design to create a delightful experience for users
Some initial projects may include:
- Developing personalized pathways through evidence-based curriculum for healthcare professionals complete with multimedia and dynamic content
- Data visualization showing personalized feedback to healthcare professionals based on their practice goals and showing the impact of their actions
- Developing mobile responsive websites and applications that provide timely, relevant tools, and information to facilitators (coaches) and primary care practices
- Creating a digital network connecting primary care practices with experts, and setting up a platform for sharing of user-generated content
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience working on a software team with a production application
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as RSpec
- Ability to learn new languages and frameworks quickly through solid understanding of functional and object-oriented programming
- Experience with developing mobile responsive web applications, apps
- Able to create database schemas and object-relational mappers that represent and support business processes
- Able to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (e.g. Git)
- Familiarity with development aiding tools such as Bundler, Rake
- Familiarity with user analytics tools and tracking
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- 3+ years of full-stack engineering experience at early stage technology companies
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other quantitative field (engineering, mathematics, physics) preferred
- Passion for improving healthcare system and working within a mission-driven culture
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem solving, and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.