Careers: Summer Internship (Analytics)
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
The Center is seeking an Intern to conduct research on key healthcare measurement and evaluation topics in support of its analytics and learning team. In summer 2019 this full-time position will focus on providing analytic support for market scans, literature research, and tool creation for the Center’s model of high-performance primary care. In this capacity the intern will work closely with the Center’s Performance Associate & Evaluation Specialist to assess partners, health services research methods, and learning approaches that could be used to determine whether a large-scale multi-practice improvement implementation is resulting in better clinical outcomes, improved clinician engagement, and patient satisfaction at a lower total cost.
The successful candidate will research and synthesize a diverse body of knowledge, spanning health service research to market insights and evaluation methods, to inform the Center’s measurement and evaluation strategy and operations in the field.
The main responsibilities of the job include:
- Provide research support to the Center’s analytics and learning team:
- Conduct scanning projects to inform market intelligence and methods (e.g. health systems, points of contact at health systems, evaluation research methods, measure sets, etc.)
- Conduct independent research on evaluation methodologies, proposed contexts, data resources, and partnerships
- Summarize research to share with the team and inform manager’s decision making
- Create learning templates and resources for implementation of the Center’s primary care service (e.g. tools to facilitate operations or learning in cross-team projects)
- Assist in preparation and documentation of information gathering sessions with the Center’s analytics and data advisors and faculty
- Assist the analytics team in its review and refinement of the Center’s primary care performance framework
- Assist in the integration of learning and evaluation requirements into the Center’s planning for its next stage of spread
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills in healthcare services, including the ability to quickly identify the essence of an issue
- Exposure to qualitative or quantitative research methods, experience, or educational background in evaluation is a plus
- Experience with market research and/or policy research
- Proven resourceful approach to problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills. Applicants should be able to develop and manage productive and collaborative relationships both internally and externally.
- Be highly organized with an ability to manage multiple priorities, adjust to changing circumstances, organize time efficiently, and remain attentive to details
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- Experience taking initiative and an ability to work independently
- Master’s candidate
- Passion for and work experience in healthcare
- Relevant coursework in health systems, health management, or health policy
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem solving, and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to email@example.com.