Careers: Manager, Communications and Public Affairs
Apr 5, 2019
About the Peterson Foundation
The Peter G. Peterson Foundation (“Peterson Foundation”) is working to secure a healthy, growing economy by addressing America’s long-term fiscal and economic challenges. The Foundation partners with leading decision-makers in government, policy, academia, media, business and issue/constituent groups to build support for solutions to put America on a sustainable fiscal and economic path. As a non-partisan organization, the Foundation engages in grant-making, partnerships and research to educate and involve Americans from a variety of perspectives.
With the goal of increasing awareness and action on America’s key fiscal challenges, the Foundation undertakes a range of communications activities to reach key audiences in Washington and across America, including digital, media relations, advertising and events.
The Manager, Communications and Public Affairs will play a central role in advancing the organization’s strategic communications objectives and plans, reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs. The successful candidate will be responsible for helping to develop, implement and measure the overall communications plans for a range of issues and initiatives.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Support the development, implementation and measurement of strategic communications plans designed to advance fiscal sustainability and related issues with key audiences in Washington and across America.
- Serve as communications project manager, managing the development and execution of specific strategies, timelines and metrics for communication activities.
- Facilitate internal planning meetings and track meeting outcomes and actions.
- Coordinate and support the implementation of a range of activities including stakeholder communications, grant communications, content development, advertising, polling and events.
- Work collaboratively across the team and the organization with Research, Grants and other departments.
- Manage process and design for a range of materials, publications, presentations and videos for various audiences and events.
- Work with external vendors to execute projects and manage budgets.
About The Successful Candidate:
The successful candidate will be a strong communications generalist able to drive the broad communications picture. Strategic and independent, he/she must have outstanding project management and relationship building skills, a firm grasp of fiscal and economic issues, and enjoy working collaboratively within and across teams.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five+ years of experience on a communications team with a non-profit, corporate or agency background.
- Experience developing, managing and/or executing a communication plan that includes many in-process activities and future milestones.
- Experience with a broad array of communications styles, formats and distribution channels.
- Strong project management skills and able to manage multiple priorities and demands with short lead-times.
- Exceptional written communications skills, with the ability to conceptualize and write content for a range of audiences.
- An independent self-starter with an intrinsic drive for results and exceptional attention to detail.
- Intellectually curious with a strategic mindset and impeccable judgement.
- A team player and problem solver able to build strong relationships and work with both technical and non-technical people.
- Understanding of economic and fiscal policy topics and current environment, and familiarity with sources of fiscal, budget and economic news/data.
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to: PGPF@sandlersearch.org.
The Peter G. Peterson Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.